Last updated on December 5th, 2017 at 06:36 pm
The DuroStar DS4000S gas portable generator is powerful yet offers a good value, and that makes it one of the top rated portable generator around. In the DuroStar DS4000S gas powered portable generator review, we will discuss this machine’s key features, specs, then we will move to its drawbacks and its best uses.
DuroStar generators are among the best when it comes to power, performance, and affordability. Featuring compact designs and ease of use features. Their generators pack a lot of power for their sizes, making them ideal for different scenarios. Powerful enough for household backup, camping, as well as construction site use. They have several service centers across the United States. For this reason, their customers have access to customer services, and attention for their generators. Their generators are affordable and they will serve you for a long time.
- The DuroStar DS4000S delivers 4000 starting watts, that stabilizes to 3300 continuous watts.
- It’s a mid-weight generator, weighing approximately 94 pounds.
- Has a fuel-efficient powerful air-cooled 7.0 horsepower engine, and has forced air cooling system, to prevent the engine from overheating.
- Its run-time stands at 8 hours on 50% of the maximum rated load.
- Equipped with an easy to read fuel gauge as well. This makes it easy to monitor the level of gas remaining in the generator.
- This gen-set is supported by a sturdy steel frame, fitted with four separate motor mounts. This ensures that the generator runs smoothly, and quietly when loaded. The isolated mounts minimize the generator vibrations.
- It uses a quiet muffler to minimize the noise it produces in operation. Has a noise rating of 69 decibels.
- In addition, the low oil shut-off feature that protects the engine from damage, in case it ran low on oil.
- Comes with a full power panel on the side for effective monitoring, and control of the generator. There is a start switch, a circuit breaker, and a voltmeter.
- Has 3 power outlets; two 120V 20 Amp household power outlets, and one 120V, 30 Amp 3-pronged outlet; should you require power from a generator cord rated 30 Amp. The extra outlets come in handy if you have a lot of appliances to power up at the same time.
- Equipped with handles on the side for easy movement, and enhanced portability.
- Easy to operate, and pretty durable in harsh weather conditions.
- Furthermore, it’s quite affordable. Offering a good price tag compared to most generators of a similar power rating.
- Backed by a one-year warranty on all parts.
- Has a spark arrestor, and EPA approved, thus, safe to use in national parks and other public areas.
Wattage: 4000 watts starting – 3300 watts running
Fuel type: Gasoline
Fuel tank capacity: 4 gallon
Weight: 94 pounds
Dimensions: 23 x 18 x 17.5 inches
Certificates: CSA, EPA approved
Starting method: Manual recoil start
Engine: 7.0 hp OHV 4-stroke single cylinder
Engine displacement: 208 cc.
Material: Metal, open steel frame enclosure
Outlets: (2) 120V 20A ports – (1) 120V 30A port
Warranty: One year limited warranty
- At 94 pounds, the DuroStar DS4000S is relatively heavy to carry or move around without wheels. You may have to acquire a wheel kit at an extra cost.
- The one year warranty is relatively short when compared to that offered by other manufacturers.
- With a noise rating of 69 decibels, this generator is considered loud. You have to place it far away from your residence if you are to enjoy some tranquility. This comes at a cost in the form of extra extension cables.
- Poor packaging.
- Unnecessary oil spillage when changing the oil due to the lack of a long and angled funnel.
- The manufacturer doesn’t provide enough tools. You can check the generator’s manual from here.
- Fuel consumption is high especially in the initial period of using the generator.
- Lacks a watt or amp meter.
- Sales representatives are not that reliable.
- You will require making an oil change every 20 hours. This interval is very small and carrying out oil changes every 20 hours is quite tiring.
- It’s also not CARB compliant.
DuroStar DS4000S Review – Conclusion
The DuroStar DS4000S portable generator is the best value for money generator around. This generator delivers the best value when it comes to the amount of power generated for every dollar. With a power rating of 3300 watts running power and 4000 watts surge power, this generator is powerful enough to run most of the appliances in your home, camping ground and RV. It can power heavy-duty appliances such as the HVAC systems in your home and RV. It can be used as the primary source of power in a job site for small power tools.
On the other hand, it does not come with wheels, and this makes moving this generator around very difficult. Its one-year warranty is relatively low, and after this period you have to cater for repairs of any kind. Overall, this DuroStar DS4000S gas powered portable generator review we think that it’s a good machine; that provides you with enough power for your different needs at home, at camp, in your RV or at a job site, and at a good price.